JPL Hosts Its First and Hopefully Only – Coronavirus Mask Contest
The Jefferson Parish Library will host a contest to celebrate one of the iconic symbols of our time – the protective facemask.
The deadline to submit facemasks is Friday, Oct. 23 at any Jefferson Parish Library. Prizes will be provided by the Friends of the Jefferson Public Library.
For the purposes of the contest, a facemask can be construed as any item that covers the face and protects the wearer as best as possible from coronavirus as well as other airborne diseases. Plastic shields are acceptable items.
All contest submissions become the property of the Jefferson Parish Library. Masks selected as winners will be displayed in the cases at the East Bank Regional Library after the contest is concluded. The mask will then be donated to the Jefferson Parish Historical Commission to serve as artifacts in their holdings.
Masks should not be worn before they are submitted to libraries so as not to infect staff or judges. Participants are urged to describe their masks and their experiences during this period at the JPL Coronavirus Chronicles.
The rules for the competition are following.
- ELIGIBILITY: The JPL Mask Contest is open to anyone with a Jefferson Parish Library Card or a New Orleans Public Library card.
- DIVISIONS: The JPL Mask Contest is divided into three divisions in each category: Kids (ages four to eleven years of age); Teens (ages twelve to nineteen years of age; and Adults (age twenty and older).
- CATEGORIES: The JPL Mask Contest consists of five categories in each division to be judged by experts in each area.
- Best Food Related Mask.
- Best Literature Related Mask.
- Best New Orleans Themed Mask.
- Best New Orleans Saints Related Mask.
- Best Halloween Mask.
- FEES: There are no fees to enter the JPL Mask Contest.
- DEADLINE: Entries must be received no later than Friday, Oct. 23, at any Jefferson Parish Library. Each entry should be identified by the name of the creator, address, telephone number, email address, and age. There is no limit to the number of entries that may be submitted by one person.
- WINNERS: At the end of the contest period, three entries will be selected within each category. For example, there will be a first place, second place, and third place in each category in each division for a total of forty-five winners.
- MISCELLANEOUS: Masks will not be returned. They will become the property of the Jefferson Historical Commission as artifacts that document the COVID experience.